From 1984-87, I lived and worked as a journalist in Seoul, though I returned to Wisconsin from May 1985 to February 1986. When I returned to Korea, I took on two jobs in journalism-related work, both arranged by the same publisher. I also met some women that would play key roles in my life.

     It seems I arrived halfway-through preparations for my first magazine issue, so if I did any reporting immediately, it was minimal. I did catch on to my copy-editing duties during the first couple of weeks there, though.

     My second issue was more involved. Mr. Kim made me tourism specialist, too, so I wrote ten stories published in that issue; thus, I had to travel about Seoul a bit. Although I’d been in the habit of taking buses and taxis at Yonhap, with Business Korea, I took many taxis, rarely a bus. My Korean was poor, but a lot of the people I was dealing with spoke fairly decent English, and I’d gotten used to travelling about in Seoul, when I worked for Yonhap.

     Among the staff working for Mr. Kim then were Laxmi Nakarmi (from Nepal, our managing editor, who was married to a stay-at-home Korean mom); Erwin Schroeder (from Mizzou); Ollie Gadacz (from Toronto); Sohn Jie-Ae (our star reporter at 23, who went on to work for the New York Times, then CNN, where she is Seoul Bureau Chief now; she has also been a president of the Seoul Foreign Correspondents’ Club); Lee Byang-Jang (Ms. Sohn’s husband, who works for Newsweek in Seoul); John Gerhart (from Princeton, a part-time copy-editing assistant, who also taught English at Yonsei University); Ms. Wang (a petite, cute reporter, who would accompany me to Pusan that year, when I did some freelance photography for Greenpeace, relating to whaling); and the vice president for Mr. Kim’s entire company (which also did advertising and public relations), another Mr. Kim, I believe. There was also a female university student who kept dropping by for advice from me about graduate schools, who became a regular staffer after I left. Also after I left for new work in Seoul that November, David Johns moved from Yonhap to Business Korea.

Image via Wikipedia

     As time passed, I wrote stories ranging from yogwans (Korean hostels), the fur coat industry ,and profiles of foreign ambassadors, to the upcoming Seoul Olympics. I also freelanced for one of Mr. Kim’s clients, Korean Air’s Morning Calm Magazine. I wrote about a half-dozen full-length features for the latter, including one or two with a pen-name, Joseph David. Mr. Kim didn’t like to give me many credits with my own name, David J. Marcou, because I had a restricted visa, and was not supposed to be working full-time in South Korea.

Liked it
Leave a Comment
comments powered by Disqus

Hi there!

Hello! Welcome to Authspot, the spot for creative writing.
Read some stories and poems, and be sure to subscribe to our feed!

Find the Spot