Do you ever feel overwhelmed by adult hood and just want to be a kid again? So do I!!
10 Reasons Why Being a Grown-Up Sucks
- Parents: As we grow up, we push further and further away from our parents, yet we know that they are there whenever we need them. When it is all said and done, we find that our parents aren’t always as willing to support us in the way they would have when we were 15 and still lived at home!
- Friends: In high school, my friend and I swore that we would go to the same college and never ever stop being friends. We had our lives planned out, where we would live next door to each other and our kids would grow up together just like we did. The only problem is that now we don’t even talk to each other. After high school I decided to stay home and she went to a local college. Even though we live no more than 15 minutes from each other, her life and my life have become so different that spending time together just becomes awkward and kind of depressing. Every once in a while I will get a text from her, but that is all. I have new friends now and although they are great, I will never forget those summer nights, playing on the trampoline, laughing so hard we cried about silly inside jokes.
- Laundry: Laundry sucks. When I lived at home, my mom would help me do my laundry all the time. As long as the laundry was in piles in the laundry room at the end of the week, it would get done. Now, all of my clothes are dirty, I only have time to do one load of laundry when I absolutely have to, and the dirty ones lay all over my bedroom floor! Being an adult sucks because the laundry just keeps piling and piling until I can’t even walk in my room!
- Cleaning: Especially when living with someone, cleaning can be one of the most draining activities you do as an adult. I am constantly cleaning and no matter how much I do, my house is always messy again the next day. This is partly because I live with a man, but we’ll go into that topic later on!
- Working: I remember always being told that I didn’t need to work and that I should spend some time being a kid… Well I wish I had listened!! I have been working since I was 14 and some days I just want to stay in bed and not go anywhere, especially not to work!
- Car Maintenance: Why are cars such a pain to keep up with? I mean you have to check the oil, fill up the gas tank, get the inspection, get the emissions tested, clean the car, etc, etc, etc. It is never ending!!! And that’s if you have a newer car without problems! If you have a clunker you’re really screwed!
- Bills: I am so tired of bills. You pay this one and then that one comes in the mail, you pay that one and then there is this one again, or another and another and another until you have a stack of bills a foot high and all you can think about is why you didn’t live at home longer and save up some extra money!!
- Money: Money is the end all, be all. People say that money is not important. Well to all of those people…. You’re wrong! I am not saying that you have to be a millionaire to be happy, but having enough money to pay the bills every month and go on vacation once a year without having to starve your family the other 51 weeks of the year would be nice. There are so many families that get ripped apart because of money problems. All I am saying is that being a grown-up requires money and when there is none… life sucks.
- Relationships: Holy crap! Can’t we just go back to the days when boys had cooties? Life would be so much easier if we could all just get along without there having to be sexual tension and prejudices based on anatomy, as well as sexual preference. Plus, there is so much drama within a relationship!!! What is he doing? Why is he doing that? Who is he doing that with? Why isn’t he cleaning? Does he really love me? When is he going to marry me? The struggle never ends. I mean a relationship is worth it most of the time, but sometimes it isn’t. Then you have a whole other set of dramas: How do I tell him I want to break up? How am I going to pay the bills with out him? Who is going to get the kids? The house? It just goes on and on and on, until we’re old and wrinkly and really don’t give a crap anymore!
- Responsibility: This is the key factor in being an adult. All choices are based on responsibility and how you want your life to go. Responsible adults work to pay the bills and put food on the table. Responsible adults get oil changes every few months or every so many thousands of miles to keep their car healthy. Responsible adults go grocery shopping rather than eat out every night. Responsible adults do the laundry and clean the house! All of those things suck. Sometimes, it would be nice to just screw around, not have to work, go to the beach and never come back… sometimes it would be nice to be a kid again!