A Collection of African Proverbs and their meanings.
1) The poorest person in the world is not the one without money but one without vision. Ghanaian Proverb
Meaning - People will go very far in life and be successful, if they have a vision and act on it.
2) Even the best dancer on the stage must retire sometime. African Proverb
Meaning – No matter how good people are in their profession, they can’t stay in it forever.
3) Train a child the way he should go and make sure you also go the same way. African Proverb
Meaning - Simply asking parents/guardians to lead by example.
4) When the heart overflows, it comes out through the mouth. Ethiopian Proverb
Meaning – If something is brewing in your mind/heart, it will eventually come out. You’ll say it.
6) One who hides private parts wont get a child. Swahili Proverb
Meaning – I guess that speaks for itself.
7) A happy man marries the girl he loves, but a happier man loves the girl he marries. African Proverb
Meaning – Another proverb that speaks for itself and reveals the secret of a long marriage.
Also Read: My Love Affair with Nigeria
Welcome to Authspot, the spot for creative writing.
Read some stories and poems, and be sure to subscribe to our feed!